Beyond the 13 survey questions we asked each candidate on our voter guides, each candidate who answered the survey was given the opportunity, if they so chose, to respond to the following five essay questions in 300 words or less. On this page are the specific candidate’s answers. If a candidate answered some, but not all, of the questions, each unanswered question is marked as “No answer was provided.”
Explain your view of state government’s role in relation to economic growth and/or job creation.
No answer was provided.
What particular regulations of abortion would you support or oppose and why?
I am pro-life. Abortion is wrong unless it is tubial or when it endangers a mother or child.
Do you believe parent(s) or government have the primary and ultimate responsibility for the education of children? Please provide at least one example that you believe demonstrates what you mean.
A person is instructed in the “Book of Life” to raise up a child in the way he will not depart from thee — a child begins at home to learn and when encouraged by his/her parents, they grow to be strong and learn well.
What is one of the most satisfying things you have ever accomplished and what made it so satisfying to you?
Success as a wife, mother, and grandmother. I have been married to the same man for 40 years, have three successful daughters and sons-in-law, and five grandsons.
What personal qualities or experiences do you think will define the nature of your service, if elected, and why do you think they are important?
- I enjoy a long family history in Marshall County.
- I am an extrovert, very friendly, love people, regardless of age, race, or nationality.
- I am very family oriented. My husband and I were foster parents for the Baptist Children’s Home for several years. I have helped take care of grandparents and parents through extended illnesses so that no one has ever had to go to a nursing home.
- I am dependable.
- I am a multi-tasker.
- I am a workaholic. I require very little sleep. While in college, I worked four jobs at a time. I currently work the real estate business, help my husband with our tend and venue rental business, babysit my grandson one day a week and every other weekend, participate in many civic activities, and am a “go-to person” for resources in my community.
- I have a strong work ethic based on my strong Christian ethic. I have always been willing to work for anything I have. I believe in giving more than the tithe to the church and to my fellow man.
- I strongly support education.
- I make a concerted effort to be neat in appearance.
- I am a happy, positive person even in the face of adversity.
- I have no fear of crowds or large audiences.
- I am a very generous person. My parents taught me to share and help anyone who came along. I have allowed total strangers to live in the house with my family. I have taken in foster children. I often befriend the downtrodden, help them find a job, give them a vehicle, put money in their pocket.
- I am deeply religious and depend on God’s guidance for everything I do.
- I am not a glory seeker and do not need any recognition for the many ways I help people.