Beyond the 13 survey questions we asked each candidate on our voter guides, each candidate who answered the survey was given the opportunity, if they so chose, to respond to the following five essay questions in 300 words or less. On this page are the specific candidate’s answers. If a candidate answered some, but not all, of the questions, each unanswered question is marked as “No answer was provided.”
Explain your view of state government’s role in relation to economic growth and/or job creation.
I believe in the free market. The state should not interfere in the free market by erecting barriers to success in the form of excessive taxes or excessive and unreasonable regulations. The state should not pick winners and losers. The state should create a favorable business climate, re: tax and regulatory environment that will attract businesses to locate in Tennessee and incentivize existing businesses to expand.
What particular regulations of abortion would you support or oppose and why?
I oppose abortion. After passage of Amendment 1, I will sponsor the following regulations:
- Abortion only in cases of high risk to the life of the mother. Physician shall first attempt to save both patients.
- Abortion clinics must carry malpractice insurance.
- Abortions must be performed by physicians.
- Physicians who perform abortions must have admitting privileges at local hospitals.
- Physicians who perform abortions must fully inform their patients in writing of all malpractice suits in which they have been the defendant, of any revocation of their medical license or other sanctions, of any accusation of ethical breaches, of any adverse findings by state or federal inspectors, investigatory agencies or any court, administrative judge, or any agency, or medical association.
- The state shall maintain an Online Registry of Abortion Providers, disclosing the information cited in 5 above.
- Abortion clinics and physician offices performing abortions must be subject to inspection.
- Abortion clinics and physician offices performing abortions must obtain informed consent from the patient.
- Informed consent shall include pregnant woman having and being offered opportunity to view 3D sonogram administered by an independent third party and paid for by the abortion clinic or abortion-providing physician office.
- A 24-hour waiting period following informed consent.
- Abortion is illegal after fetal heartbeat is detected.
- Minors seeking an abortion must have parental consent. Consent can be given only after all informed consent requirements cited above have been meet.
Do you believe parent(s) or government have the primary and ultimate responsibility for the education of children? Please provide at least one example that you believe demonstrates what you mean.
Parents have the primary and ultimate responsibility for the education of their children. It is up to the parents to choose the optimal available educational environment for the child – public school, private school, parochial school, charter school, or home education. I favor providing means for “the money to follow the student,” meaning opportunity scholarships that families may use at the school of their choice for which the student qualifies.
What is one of the most satisfying things you have ever accomplished and what made it so satisfying to you?
No answer was provided.
What personal qualities or experiences do you think will define the nature of your service, if elected, and why do you think they are important?
As a pastor of the same local church for 25 consecutive years, I have vast experience listening to, caring for, and advising people from all walks of life during all kinds of life situations and trials. Being a successful pastor means having respect and love for people and being willing to serve them. Really a pastor is a servant, and I believe public officials should be, too.